Jakarta Holds Southeast Asian English Olympics

Posted by admin on March 19th, 2011 at 08:58am

This is the VOA Special English Education Report.

The Southeast Asian English Olympics begin Monday in Jakarta. High school and university students will compete to demonstrate their English skills at the Anggrek campus of Binus University.

The Bina Nusantara English Club at the university started the English Olympics in two thousand five. The yearly competition was formerly known as the Nationwide English Olympics.

This year the club invited other Southeast Asian schools to send “ambassadors” to join students from Indonesia. The organizers hope to have four hundred or more students take part.

There are six areas of competition. One is based on Scrabble, the board game where players try to form words from letters with different point values. Other areas include speech, storytelling and newscasting. Students will be judged on their ability to present the news.

Yohanes Napis is the twenty-year-old chief executive officer of next week’s Olympics. He says the biggest event is the debate competition, which will include international judges. He says the competition will use the British parliamentary system but debaters can use either British or American English.

Organizers of the Southeast Asian English Olympics are getting support from the American Embassy in Jakarta and VOA. The finals will take place Saturday, February nineteenth, in a new high-tech American cultural center called @america. It opened in December in the Pacific Place Mall in Jakarta.

There are also plans for one hundred Indonesian high school students to come to the @america center next Friday. They will choose their favorite entry in the sixth area of competition, short movie making. But adult judges will choose the winners of the gold, silver and bronze medals.

Yohanes Napis says the Southeast Asian English Olympics might expand next year into the Asian English Olympics.

YOHANES NAPIS: “Two months ago we already have participants from Bangladesh, but unfortunately we cannot accept them because this is actually the Southeast Asian English Olympics. We already have participants as well from China, who already asked if they are eligible to join this Olympics. But unfortunately we have to refuse them, and also from Bangladesh as well. So I think we have a good chance to actually expand the scale into Asian for next year.”

And that’s the VOA Special English Education Report, written by June Simms. If you’re going to the English Olympics in Jakarta next week, we would love to have you send reports. You can post comments at voaspecialenglish.com or on Facebook at VOA Learning English, where you can also upload pictures and videos. I’m Steve Ember.

Tags: ,

Under Education report

17 Comments

• 1. quang tuyen  |  March 19th, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I’m from VietNam, I’m very interesting about that English olympics, the Southeast Asian students have the good chances to improve their English skill, and meet many friends from the other countries in the area
    I hope that the organizers will extend it for all Asian countries for the near future and that Olympic is upholded annual

• 2. Hong Hoa  |  March 19th, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I think the Southest Asian English Olympics is very useful, it is interesting to people who want to improve English skills. If you were participants, you would learn a lot of things: meet friends in defferent countries, share about culture…..so organizators in this competion should expend for all of countries in Asia.

• 3. ly  |  March 20th, 2011 at 9:54 am

i am learn english very badly . when i found this web , iam very happy , i think it can help me to learn better , i can listen , i can read and write english. althoungh i am not good ,i will win myself

• 4. Hy  |  March 20th, 2011 at 10:37 am

All most Southeast Asian Countries choosed English as the seconde languages after their motherlanguages for long time ago.But in Vietnam is other,befor English will be most popular as you seen today,more Vietnameses learned and used very good other languages as well as Rusian,France,Chines or Germany.
    Why will be English most important and so popular today in Vietnam ?
    Beside economic factor, that all foreigners are working in Vietnam ,not depent on their Nations, use English to speak.The Revolution in Comunication as PC,internet and mobilphone take the decide part for everyone`s decision to choose English to learnt .I`m Vietnamese,I can speek Germany well.My children speak well Rusian.But all of us are learning English now.

• 5. Quiteriver  |  March 20th, 2011 at 1:06 pm

if i can speak a few language that really how to like !but even i am still not well in english . thnaks very much .i like this post

• 6. Hoang My  |  March 20th, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Southeast Asian English Olympics sounds great. i wish i could take part in SAEO, but maybe Vietnam don’t join in it. What a pity! I think that it’s good environment for everyone who really wanna improve their E skill. Hope that next year Vietnam can join in SAEO. At time, manyVietnamese students have chance to take part.

• 7. hieu  |  March 20th, 2011 at 7:55 pm

today english is so very important to asian.we have to integrate with whole the world.
    my english skill is very so bad .so i am trying to improve my listening
    ,reading and writting e skill.i hope that every day will be bring exciting for me to learning english.do have to trying everyday

• 8. can thi men  |  March 20th, 2011 at 9:54 pm

chao chi, em ten la men, em doc o tren trang wed thay co neu dang ky mot tai khoan thi se duoc nhan bai nghe moi ngay, kem theo co the tra tu nao khong biet bang cach an hai lan vao tu do. Nhung em an hai lan vao do deu khong duoc, hoac em chua lam theo chi dan dung cach, chi co the gui lsi cho em cach tra tu nao minh khong biet truc tiep tren bai khong a? em cam on chi, chi gui lai vao mail cho em nhe: cobedethuong.haybuon@gmail.com

• 9. Anh Tu  |  March 20th, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Nowaday, English has become the most important language over the world. Therefore, the English olympics sound great. It’s a good chance for students from non-english countries to show their talents. I hope Vietnam can join this game next year… :))

• 10. dang  |  March 21st, 2011 at 9:33 am

this website is very good for all people who want improve their english skills. as for me, it help me more exciting to study english without class or teacher

• 11. huong thi pham  |  March 21st, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I want to participate in this competition but my English ability is not good enough yet.I have to learn much more, especially in speaking English. I have no time to learn at the foreign language centers, so everyday, I only use my computer at my office to learn English online. There are lot of good programmes on it for learners, essentially practicing listening and speaking.

• 12. phuongnga  |  March 22nd, 2011 at 9:20 am

Nowaday, English has become the most important language in my work. I want to participate in this competition but my english ablity is not good enough yet.

• 13. Water  |  March 22nd, 2011 at 12:14 pm

It’s easy to understand why people learn English. English is an international language, you can go anywhere in the world if you know English. You will be easy to integrade into the world if you are good in English. You can earn more money,…. It’s successful in this forum if Admin can correct mistakes of commentator which they can learn more.

• 14. Quy  |  March 23rd, 2011 at 9:27 am

Hello,
    When I’m listening this article, I see English is important and I have to improve my skill. Thanks so much.

• 15. dtnghia  |  March 29th, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I am very bad…

• 16. myhanh  |  March 30th, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I thinks , The Southeast Asian English is very interested. It is a campus for the people who like study English, the winner is really power of speech.

• 17. anna  |  April 8th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

that a good ideal, if i chance i will particular , but now ability english so bad, i will try, i wish i were spoken , wrote anh reading

Luyện nghe tiếng Anh Facebook